You’ve probably heard of the term “gua sha” being thrown around in the skincare industry but you may not know what it is. Skincare trends can come and go but this is one that we think is here to stay that can help you achieve a natural face lift. Unlike other facials, a gua sha facial can be done from the comfort of your own bathroom without an appointment at a spa – in fact, the best results come from daily gua sha treatments. We’re here to walk you through the process of doing a gua sha facial at home, and to explain some of the amazing benefits of the practice.
What is a Gua Sha Facial?
Gua sha is one of the oldest recorded forms of traditional Chinese medicine used to release stagnant energy, improve circulation, and boost overall health. The idea of this facial massage is to use a special curved tool, such as ones made from jade or amethyst stone or stainless steel, to carefully push against the skin on your face and neck. You use a facial oil to perform this massage in order to help the tool glide smoothly over the skin. The skin also better absorbs the facial oil when applied this way. This light pressure can help release any facial or muscular tension built up while also moving along any sluggish lymph fluid that can make the face look puffy. Afterwards, your skin can look more lifted and toned, giving you a nice jawline. Follow along with this instructional video at home to perform a gua sha facial to feel like you’re at the spa.
Products You Need for a Gua Sha Facial
Before you get started on your own at-home spa day, it’s important that you have everything you need to properly perform a gua sha facial massage. Set yourself up for success (and relaxation) by having these products ready to go before starting your massage:
- Your favorite face oil: We love using the MUTHA™ Face Oil as it’s packed with 22-nutrient-dense ingredients that your skin will love.
- A gua sha tool: There are many options when it comes to choosing a gua sha stone to use but we love a jade or amethyst tool.
- Clean skin: It’s always important to start with a completely clean face, free of any dirt and debris before starting the gua sha facial massage. Use your favorite facial cleanser and pat your skin dry before beginning your facial.
Benefits of a Gua Sha Facial
There are many benefits that can be seen from performing a gua sha facial massage on a daily basis. While these results have not been clinically proven, practitioners often say patients’ faces look more lifted after a gua sha massage. Some of the benefits include:
- Help with reducing inflammation and puffiness
- Reduced appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Appearance of a natural facelift
- Helps give your skin a glow
Now you have the tools you need to get started on your own at home gua sha facial. Hope enjoys doing facials at home and using MUTHA™ skincare products. Learn more about how Hope created MUTHA™ and how it became the brand it is today.